The Strategic Council met for the first time in May 1998. It is an advisory body that serves to provide support for the University, enable relationships with companies, help it spread in the Mediterranean basin and the region, and contribute to disseminating the Francophonie.
It is chaired by the Rector of USJ and is composed of a limited number of Lebanese, French, and Francophone members.
The Strategic Council meets at least twice a year, and its meetings are either preceded or followed by a lecture on the critical issues faced by Lebanon or the region. The lecture is delivered by a distinguished guest invited by the Rector.
MEMBERS OF THE USJ STRATEGIC COUNCIL
- Hélène Carrère d’Encausse: Permanent Secretary of the French Academy (Académie française) – France
- Nayla Moawad: Former Minister of Social Affairs – Lebanon
- Joseph Aoun: President of Northeastern Univeristy – United States of America
- Samir Assaf: CEO of HSBC Global Banking and Markets – United Kingdom
- Michel Barnier: Member of the European Parliament, European Commissioner for Internal Markets and Financial Services, Former Minister of Agriculture and Fisheries, Former Minister of Foreign Affairs – France
- Walid Daouk: Former Minister of Information – Lebanon
- Joseph Deiss: Former Federal Councilor, Former President of the Swiss Confederation, President of the 65th Session of the United Nations General Assembly – Switzerland
- François-Xavier de Donnéa: Minister of State, Member of Parliament – Belgium
- Michel Eddé: Lawyer, Former Minister of Culture and Higher Education, CEO of L’Orient-Le Jour – Lebanon
- Michel Gervais: Director of the Centre hospitalier Robert-Giffard and of the Centre de recherche Université Laval/Robert-Giffard – Canada
- Carlos Ghosn: Chairman and CEO of Renault-Nissan Alliance – France
- Marwan Hamadé: Minister of Education, Deputy for Chouf – Lebanon
- Philippe Lagayette: President of the French-American Foundation – France
- Amin Maalouf: Member of the French Academy (Académie française) – France
- Joseph Maila: Director of “Future Perspectives” at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs – France
- Tarek Mitri: Former Minister of Information – Lebanon
- Varouj Nerguizian: Chairman-General Manager of the Emirates Lebanon Bank – Lebanon
- Christian Philip: Former Rector of the Academy of Montpellier – France
- Christian Philip: Former Rector of Montpellier University – France
- Jean-Pierre Raffarin: Former Prime Minister, Senator for Vienne – France
- Chucri Sader: Judge, State Council President, Director of the University Alumni Association – Lebanon
- Nasser Saidi: Former Minister of Economy and Trade, Former Minister of Industry, Former Vice-Governor of the Central Bank of Lebanon – Lebanon
- Bahige Tabbarah: Former Minister of Justice – Lebanon
R.F. Salim Daccache, S.J.
R.F. Victor Assouad, S.J.
Adviser and Assistant of the Father-General for Western Europe and the Middle East – Rome
R.F. Michel Scheuer, S.J.
Vice-Rector of Administration
Vice-Rector for International Relations
Vice-Rector for Scientific Research
Vice-Rector for Academic Affairs