The Middle East Partnership Initiative (MEPI) Student Leaders Program (SLP) is a fully-funded 5-week intensive training program held at four U.S. universities for 60 undergraduate and early-stage graduate students between the ages 20 and 24 from the MENA region. Students gain hands-on knowledge about leadership, civic engagement, social entrepreneurship, and decision-making processes and learn how to apply these skills in their home countries.
Participants have the opportunity to meet their American peers, engage in local community service activities, and observe and take part in the governmental process on the local, state, and federal levels. The program includes academic coursework as well as study tours to various regions of the United States.
The Student Leaders program will take place over the course of approximately five weeks in the United States from June 24-July 29, 2020.
The key eligibility requirements are below. Applicants must:
- Have birth dates between July 29, 1996 and June 24, 2000;
- Have excellent English language skills (both oral and written);
- Be committed to returning to Lebanon after completion of the program;
- Possess strong evidence of leadership potential;
- Be dedicated to civic engagement;
- Possess a serious interest in learning about the United States;
- Be Lebanese citizens or holders of a Special Travel Document for Palestinian Refugees issued by Lebanese authorities;
- Have sustained, superior academic achievement;
- Be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program, either currently or commencing during the 2020-21 fall academic semester;
- Be committed to participating fully in all aspects of this intensive five-week academic, community service, and educational program;
- Be prepared for campus life, including shared accommodations with another participant of the same sex, and for traveling with a multinational group of participants from the MENA region and U.S. citizens; and
- Possess flexibility and adaptability to new cultures and social settings.
- Interested applicants from USJ must fill and sign USJ's Outgoing mobility form and hand it to the International relations office of USJ.
- Visit https://studentleaders.fluidreview.com/ to apply to the 2020 MEPI Student Leaders Program. Applications must be received no later than December 3, 2019 via the online system.
- PLEASE NOTE: Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Questions can be emailed to MEPIBeirut@state.gov.
- Applicants will be notified via email whether accepted or not.
As with all U.S. Embassy-sponsored programs, the U.S. Government pays for all major expenses, including roundtrip airfare, shared accommodation during the program, meals, and health insurance. Competition is merit-based. Applicants will be considered without regard to race, religion, sex, age, and/or physical impairment.